Ay, caramba! Spice up your weeknight routine with these lean and light bison tacos. This recipe can be prepared in under 30 minutes and makes 15 tacos – enough for the whole family!
- 15 yellow corn tortillas, lightly grilled
- 1 lb Bison du Nord 100% grassfed ground bison meat
- 2 tbsp New Sudbury Spice Co. Taco seasoning
- 1 tsp corn starch
- ⅓ green cabbage, chopped
- ⅓ red cabbage, chopped
- 2 green onions, chopped
- Thornloe Cheese cotija cheese, crumbled (or any sharp cheddar cheese, shredded)
- 8 oz (250 ml) sour cream
- ¼ tsp garlic powder (or 1 garlic clove, minced)
- 1 lime zested and juiced
- Salt to taste
- Fresh cilantro, chopped
- Heartbeat Hot Sauce Co. hot sauce drizzled to taste
- Cook ground bison meat over medium heat. Add taco seasoning and corn starch while cooking. If there are not enough juices, add water a little bit at a time, until there is some sauciness and the meat isn’t dry.
- Chop the green and red cabbages, as well as the green onions. Mix all three ingredients to make a crunchy slaw.
- Crumble the cotija cheese (or shred the cheddar cheese) and put aside in a small bowl.
- For the lime crema, add sour cream, garlic powder, lime juice and zest to a medium sized bowl. Whisk together until this zesty and tangy cream is smooth. Note: the cotija cheese is naturally salty, but you may wish to add a pinch of salt to the lime crema.
- Lightly grill both sides of the tortillas for 30 seconds each (or until tortilla slightly puffs).
- In each tortilla, add cheese, cooked bison meat, crunchy slaw, a drizzle or dollop of lime crema and garnishes to taste.
- Serve hot and enjoy!