Bison, bacon and beans, oh my! We added a twist to Oh Sweet Basil‘s award winning chili recipe by substituting the beef with our certified grassfed bison. Simmer in your slow cooker for a few hours and enjoy a homemade bison chili that has some serious kick to it!
- 1.5 lb ground Bison du Nord grassfed bison
- 6 bacon strips, chopped
- 1 can (15 oz) kidney Beans, drained
- 1 can (15 oz) pinto beans, drained
- 1 can (15 oz) black beans, drained
- 1 can (15 oz) fire Roasted diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 can (6 oz) tomato paste
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced (optional)
- 2 cups Stock Exchange Mindful Nourishment bison broth (or beef broth)
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- Sour cream
- Thornloe Cheese cheddar, shredded
- Cook the bacon until crisp in a skillet and set aside on plate lined with paper towel.
- Drain off any excess grease and cook the onion and pepper until tender in the same skillet. Set aside on another plate.
- Cook the bison meat in the same skillet until browned and drain off any excess grease.
- Place the cooked bison meat, onion, pepper and 3/4 of the bacon in your slow cooker.
- Add all of the remaining ingredients to the slow cooker and stir to combine.
- Cook on low for 5-6 hours or on high for 3 hours.
- Garnish with your choice of sour cream, cheese, cilantro, lime and a little bacon. Serve and enjoy!